Friday, February 24, 2012

Lenten Lessons--Day 3

Today's Scriptures: Isaiah 58:1-9; Matthew 9:14-15

Fasting is one of the disciplines that many people take on during Lent. I've done it myself, but now I am in a place in my life where complete fasting is not an option because of my diabetes. That is why I find the Scripture in Isaiah so important.The people in Isaiah's day were upset because they felt they had fasted and the Lord missed it! But God hadn't missed it, he instead wanted something more from them. He wasn't interested in His children going through the motions without it reaching their heart. That is why He says:
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?


When we are doing these things, then we can look for the Lord and hear Him say, "I'm here!" The Lord is patiently waiting for us to give us our "religious practices" and start loving Him the way He expects!

No comments: