Monday, August 17, 2009

Heat

Summer has officially arrived in Stillwater. It is too hot to think in my office! I am trying to work on my next "Basic Training" sermon. It was going to be about God the Father and maybe the Holy Spirit (Jesus was yesterday). Now I think I may preach about Hell! I am pretty sure that my office is nearly hot enough to qualify today.

Ok, Ok, enough whining. We have had a relatively mild summer so I really shouldn't complain, but sometimes I complain anyway. We are never happy. If it is cold we wish it was hot; if it is hot we wish it was cold. It is time I remembered what Paul said--to be CONTENT in whatever circumstance I find myself in.

Contentment can be elusive. We think, "If I just had this or that, I would be content." Then we get this or that and we think, If I just had this other thing, then I'd be content." The truth of the matter is that contentment is not about things, but about how we appreciate the things we already have. I'm blessed. I have a great wife. I live in a wonderful town. I also get to see the beauty of nature every day. Why should I not be content? Because I am a fallen human and until I learn to to completely trust God in ALL things I will never be content.

Well, I have made my decision. I am going to be content! I have all that God wants me to have and nothing that He doesn't want me to have. Who could ask for more? Not me! Count your blessings and have a God blessed day!

No comments: