Tuesday, May 8, 2012

WIIFM?

WIIFM or rather "What's in it for me?" seems to be how most people approach most everything these days. Why should I help out at a soup kitchen? Why should I be kind to others? Why should I go to church? What's in it for me? While some might think that is a selfish question to ask, I don't. Seriously, Why should we do any or all of those things I mentioned in the first paragraph? The simple answer is that as Children of God we should feel the pull to help those in need and to be a part of the gathering of God's children. But nothing is ever that simple. Americans especially want to know what benefit they will receive for investing their time, talent and money into anything. While that seems on the service to be a bit shallow, it still rings true. So why should we do these things? Because God tells us to do them! We are repeated told in Scripture to help the needy, to take care of those who can't take care of themselves. We are also encourage not to forsake the meeting together of fellow Christians. It is at these times of worship and fellowship that we "recharge" our spiritual batteries in order to continue to do the things God expects us to do. I could give you a long list of Scripture to back this up, but I will settle for one from the Old Testament. Micah 6:8 tells us, "And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." If we follow that one verse, we can rest assured that we are doing what God expects of us. More importantly in our American culture, we will find what is "in it for me." What we will find is God's blessings poured out. Does that mean that we will never have troubles? Of course not! But it does mean that God will be with us through all those troubling times and never forsake us. Let us all do our best to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with our God, and experience what God will do for us!

No comments: