Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Don't Stop Till the Job Is Done!

In December of 2005 jockey Roger Loughran made a big mistake. Jeers greeted him when he mistook the winning post and lost the big race of the day at Leopardstown. Leading with 150 meters to go, Loughran, riding Central House, the 11-4 second favorite, thought he had passed the winning post, stopped riding and punched the air in triumph. He was still celebrating as Hi Cloy (8-1) and Fota Island (9-1) raced by to grab the spoils with Central House passing the post in third, one and a half lengths behind. Central House's trainer Dessie Hughes told At The Races TV channel: "He'd given him a super ride up to that point. It's human error -- he just thought he was at the winning post."

Sometimes we as Christians do the same thing. We feel that we have "finished the race" when in fact we still have more to do. I have heard it though all of my years in ministry. Things like, "well I used to teach Sunday School, but I did my time, someone else needs to do it now," or "I've done my part, it is time for the young people to take over." Don't get me wrong, I fully expect the younger generation to "do their part." The problem is not with those who are currently "doing" it, the problem is with those who feel that they are already "done."

Paul said near the end of his life, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me." If Paul never felt he had finished doing what the Lord had for him, how in the world do we think that we have earned retirement benefits on this side of heaven?

It is high time that every Christian remembered that our work on earth is not done just because we have "done our part." Our work is done only when we have completed the race and the Lord welcomes us home!

No comments: