Monday, May 18, 2009

Maranatha Gardens

My mother-in -law wrote in a recent blog about the Victory Gardens that were planted during the second World War. It got me to thinking that the concept (especially in these troubled economic times) is still a sound one. Planting a garden to help us with our food budgets is one way to get through these tough times (that is if I can keep the deer out of my garden!)

But I think we can (and should) take it further. Let's plant Maranatha Gardens. Maranatha is the Greek word for "our Lord has come." We can plant a few extra plants so that we can share the bounty with those people who are struggling. Wouldn't it be a wonderful witness come this fall to have a table set out in front of the church with the vegtables available for thiose in need? Now I am not trying to run the fruit and vegatable stands out of business, but I do think that it is a visable way that we can share with our communities some of the blessings that the Lord has provided us.

I challenged my congregation on Sunday to do this. While I certainly have no idea how many will actually participate in the project, I can assure you that I will do my best to provide all the jalapeno and habenero peppers that we need! OK, I have other thinks planted as well and will share them as well!

So, go get you hands dirty and make a difference in your community!

1 comment:

Amy Florence said...

I'm sure those pepper plants will go quickly...not!