Thursday, January 15, 2009

Technology and Lifelong Learning

We live in a wonderful time if you like the challenge of lifelong learning! The internet provides us with so many opportunities to expand our knowledge and our skills. I know that I need to continue to learn and to grow or I will stagnate and cease to be effective.

Right now, I am "auditing" classes on preaching, worship, Biblical theology, and Calvin's Institutes by way of itunes! These are classes from Covenant Theological Seminary. While I don't have the time or the budget to continue to go to seminary, I have the benefits of attending class every day in my office!

All you have to do is ask Amy and she will tell you that I once said that I would never get a degree for the sake of the degree. It was hard for me to go back to seminary because I felt the 20+ years in ministry was enough for me. I felt that the books I read were enough. Well, they aren't. As much as I would like to think I have a good handle on ministry, if I fail to realize that I can still learn more, I am being too pig-headed. I may not agree with everything I hear or read, but by disagreeing, I am forced to articulate (at least in my own mind) WHY I disagree.

At one time, I thought about continuing my education via a DMin program. Some day I may consider that again, but for now, I have found a way to learn and grow without the expense that comes with another degree. Degrees are great, everyone should have one! But what is even greater is what we learn--whether in a seminary classroom, a good book, or even from a class downloaded from itunes!

To me, it doesn't matter whether you are a pastor or a dog catcher--whatever you do, there is always going to be better ways to do it. Become a lifelong learner and you will always be doing your best!

No comments: