Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Where's Your Treasure?


This watch is the "Tour de l'Ile" manufactured by Vacheron Costantin. It's cost? 1.5 million dollars. As I was shaking my head at the insanity of the price I glanced at my own 48 dollar watch. It tells me the time just fine. I guess that would leave me about 1.499952 million dollars left over. With that I could send 36 kids to college for 4 years each with room, board, and books included. With that I could sponsor almost 400 needy children overseas into adulthood. With that I could buy meals for 5 million starving people around the world. With that much left over money I could do so much good, help so many souls, and still know the time whenever I looked down at my wrist.

When did our society become so insane that anyone would think they needed a 1.5 million dollar watch? When did people become so shallow that they would believe a one million dollar car is essential? My first car cost me only 800 dollars (OK, I bought it from my brother)and it still got me wherever I needed to go. When did 50 million dollar yachts and 100 million dollar houses become so vital to a person’s happiness?

I pray that at some point our society says "Enough!" and wakes up from this nightmare of materialism. Each of us only has one life. Let’s not waste it on the watches we wear and the cars we drive. Each of us only has one soul. Let’s not lose it trying to gain the whole world. God put us here to love each other, to help each other, and to make this world a better place together. No house or boat will ever bring us joy like living the way that our Heavenly Father meant for us to. No amount of material wealth in this world will ever equal the treasures of Heaven. Live your life in love, joy, and oneness with God then. Help others whenever you can. Make this world a better place now. Life is brief and no watch will buy you an extra second of it.

No comments: