Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Happiness


This was one of my Mom's favorite songs. If you didn't listen to it (or missed the words) here are the lyrics:
Evening shadows make me blue
When each weary day is through
How I long to be with you -- my happiness
Every day I reminisce
Dreaming of your tender kiss
Always thinking how I miss -- my happiness
A million years it seems
Have gone by since we shared our dreams
But I'll hold you again,
There'll be no blue memories then
Whether skies are gray or blue
Any place on earth will do
Just as long as I'm with you -- my happiness
Whether skies are gray or blue
Any place on earth will do
Just as long as I'm with you -- my happiness


Though this isn't a "religious" song, I see an application for us as Christians. If we truly see Jesus (or any aspect of the triune God) as "our happiness" then any place on earth will be fine for us--just as long as we are with God. We all have good times and bad times. The good news is that God is there at ALL times! The true question is, do you really want Him there? Is God your "Happiness?" or is God the one who is "out to spoil your fun?"

When we get to the place where God is truly "our Happiness" the Joy that will come stays regardless of our present circumstances (important in today's volatile climate.) So, how about you? Is God your happiness, or are you looking for that joy somewhere else? Here is a secret. No matter where you look, true happiness will never be found apart from God!

No comments: