Friday, December 19, 2008

Excitement and Preparation

We are expecting 5-10 inches of snow in our area today. I received an automated phone call from the Newton schools at 5:05 am to tell me that school was canceled (even though I have no school-aged children and I am not in the Newton school district!) Everyone seems to be excited about this first major snow storm of the year. People have stocked up supplies and firewood and are ready to "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

It just leads me to wonder why a little bit of snow can make people so excited and get them prepared for any emergency the storm can bring, yet the celebration of the birth of the Son of God can get so little attention. It seems to me that if people were just half as excited about the true meaning of this season as they are about this upcoming snow storm what a wonderful world this would be!

Christmas is coming (whether or not the goose is getting fat). Don't let any last minute rushing around close the "Inn" of your heart to Jesus. Use these last few days of Advent to prepare yourself for the best CHRISTmas ever!

No comments: