Saturday, December 13, 2008

Just Whose Birthday is it Anyway?

I have decided that the next birthday party that I am invited to, I will send the host a wish list of what I would like to get. Crazy you say? Well, as I watch TV, read the newspapers, and go grocery shopping, all I seem to be hearing form those conversations I pick up is, "I want this for Christmas" or "I want that for Christmas."

Now, I am not saying that we have to stop giving gifts at Christmas (besides, I like giving and receiving gifts just as much as anyone I know!) What I am saying, is that it is time once again to remind everyone just Whose birthday it really is! Can you imagine how happy Jesus would be (and how shocked your pastor would be) if every member spent as much time, effort and money in doing something for Jesus and the church at this time of year as they do for everyone on their Christmas list?

This is not an attempt to make anyone feel guilty, or sad. I just think it would be wonderful if we could rekindle the excitement for pleasing Jesus with our Christmas gifts as much as we get excited giving to our friends and family. Oh well, I don't mean to sound like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, I just want to give us all some food for thought!

2 comments:

Rosella said...

You are about as 'ungrinchey' a person as I know, but I take your point. It should be, "one for me, two for you and three for Jesus". At least.

Amy Florence said...

It probably has something to do with instant gratification. When you give a gift to someone, you are instantly gratified because you chose the "right" gift.