Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Just Vote

Finally, election day is here. I hope that all Americans take advantage of the opportunity to be a part of the process. Indeed, while I am pretty sure that many of the candidates I voted for will not be elected, that does not mean I shouldn't vote (and after standing in line at 2 different polling places, I did vote!)

There is a much larger "campaign" we need to support than any on the ballot today. We need to get people voting for Jesus -- not just with their words, but with their lives. No matter who wins the presidential election, there will be people who die without Jesus tomorrow if we don't tell them about His love for them.

While I was standing in line to vote today, I had an opportunity to talk about my faith and why I know Jesus is Lord. Now, to be honest, when I left the manse this morning I never thought I would be talking about Jesus in a polling line. After I voted, I got back in the car and thanked God for the opportunity to share the gospel. I think this is what Jesus had in mind when He told us, "as you are going, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." As you are going--every day, every place let those you come in contact with Jesus.

I got to vote twice today--once as an American, and more importantly I had to chance to vote for Jesus!

1 comment:

Amy Florence said...

Because I married you, I got to vote quickly! When Rachel and I got to the polling place, someone was there asking our last name. Rachel was already standing in line (she walks much faster than I) so I assumed I would just take my place behind her. Wrong. The person told me that I was to go to the line on the left (A-G) and the great news is there was only one person in line ahead of me. Rachel was in the line for people with the people at the end of the alphabet.

As I walked off after casting my vote, Rachel was still waiting in line.