Monday, November 10, 2008

Running Out of Bulletins

Yesterday was a first for me in Stillwater--we ran out of bulletins! I have mixed emotions about that. First, I am very happy that we had so many people in church that we didn't have enough bulletins. But, on the other hand, I am saddened to think that I did not have the optimism to have enough bulletins printed. While vastly overprinting is a stewardship issue, why do I feel that printing an extra ten bulletins (just in case) is poor stewardship?

This morning, I have made a promise to myself to never let that happen again. Why? Simply because it is poor hospitality to run out of bulletins. I tell everyone that will listen that we need to be more hospitable, and then I fail to lead by example.

What are some of the other ways we fail to practice hospitality? Do we greet people warmly as they enter our building but ignore them as they leave? Do we notice that they have infants or children and fail to tell them how to get to the nursery or Sunday School classrooms? There are many ways to fail at hospitality, but only one way to make sure it happens--work at it!

Hospitality is free, yet too many times hard to come by. I preached on the Good Samaritan yesterday, and passed by some people that needed me (by failing to print enough bulletins). Rest assured, with God's help, this will NEVER happen again.

How about you? Are there areas of hospitality that you are neglecting? I pray that we all work to become the most hospitable people we can possibly be--both in church and out of it. Bulletin anyone?

1 comment:

Amy Florence said...

I've invited people to come to our house for Thanksgiving without asking you first. Is that what you mean by being hospitable? :-0