Saturday, October 18, 2008

Out of Gas

I hurried home from Princeton today (where I got to spend some quality time with my family) in order to mow the lawn at the Manse. As I tried to start the lawn tractor, I got a big surprise. I was out of gas! Now, for some people that might not seem like a big deal, but for me, that means a 20-30 minute round trip to purchase the gas and to be honest, I don’t feel like driving anymore right now!

My lawn tractor reminded me of the importance of having our “tank full.” Just because the machine is there, the blades are sharp and the battery charged does me absolutely no good is there is no gas in the tank! How many people think that dressing up, going to church, and listening to a sermon is enough for them to be all that God wants them to be?

Guess what? If you don’t have your spiritual tank filled by spending time in the Word and time in prayer, it will dry up and when you most need to do something, you’ll be out of luck! I thought that I had mowed for the last time, so I didn’t go out and buy more gas….now I am paying for that oversight. It is inconvenient and frustrating, but I will get out to buy some soon and problem solved. But (and this is a big one), if we aren’t keeping our Spiritual tanks filled, it may not be so easy to get a fill-up when we really need it.

So, get out the Book, get into the Word, and spend some quality time alone with God. Now! Don’t put it off until it is too late!

No comments: