Monday, October 20, 2008

Screen Door

In the Fall of 1988 I had a unique opportunity as a Youth Minister in Creve Coeur, IL. to host a Rich Mullins concert. Our church was half way between St. Louis and Chicago and the band was looking for a place to hold a concert on the way between the two. The story is too long to tell here, but the bottom line is that we had Rich and the Ragamuffin band in concert for the grand total of $50 of Italian food and housing (in homes of various members of the congregation).

The concert was great and I was able to video most of it (and the warm up time as well) on a very heavy video camera. Because it was heavy (and I didn't yet own a tripod!) the video is a bit shaky, and because I had to change batteries, I missed the first part of the Screen Door song! BUT, I did get most of it (which is available at the bottom of this post).

"Faith without works, it just ain't happening...it's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine." So says Rich, and the more I read the book of James, the more I have to agree with Rich. We are saved by grace, but that doesn't mean we don't have responsibilities in the kingdom. Teachers teach, preachers preach and nursery workers give the best care possible to those left with them.

We all have a job (or jobs) to do for the Lord, and if we fail to do our part, we are the screen door on the submarine that is the Lord's Church!

No comments: